Saints re-sign Jameis Winston to one-year contract
The New Orleans Saints have re-signed quarterback Jameis Winston to a one-year contract worth up to $12 million.
Winston's future in New Orleans seemed dubious after the Saints restructured/extended Taysom Hill earlier in the week, but the team's Week 1 starter at the position now seems truly up in the air. Coach Sean Payton has claimed that he wants a true competition for the starting job this offseason, and Winston's willingness to re-sign all but guarantees one.
Winston played definitively behind Hill during the 2020 season, with Hill starting in each game that Drew Brees missed while the future Hall of Famer nursed a brutal ribs injury. That said, Winston has a more proven track record as a passer than Hill and could absolutely push for the starting job in 2021.
- Cowboys' Dak Prescott (shoulder) diagnosed with muscle strain, exits practice early on Wednesday July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Kenyan Drake placed on non-football injury list July 28th, 2021
- Jets' Chris Herndon working with second string July 28th, 2021
- Michael Carter opens camp with Jets' first team July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Henry Ruggs focusing on playing stronger July 28th, 2021
- Justin Jackson placed on Chargers' COVID-19 list July 27th, 2021
- Saints reporter: Michael Thomas (ankle) may be out until late October July 26th, 2021
- Rapoport: Michael Thomas (ankle) expected to miss start of Saints season July 23rd, 2021
- Adam Trautman ready to be Saints' top tight end June 21st, 2021
- Saints re-sign Jameis Winston to one-year contract March 15th, 2021
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Taysom Hill (knee) ruled out for Sunday's clash with Buccaneers January 17th, 2021