Saints' Drew Brees (ribs) seeking second opinion
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is seeking a second medical opinion on the rib fractures and collapsed lung he suffered in Week 10 against the San Francisco 49ers, reports Ed Werder of ESPN.
Werder said the second opinion will help determine how much time Brees will miss and whether the Saints will place their star quarterback on injured reserve. That designation would cost Brees a minimum of three games, though it sounds like he may be facing a longer timeline. Jameis Winston is the favorite to start at quarterback while Brees is sidelined. Taysom Hill will also likely see snaps under center. The Saints face the Atlanta Falcons in Week 11.
Brees is throwing for his fewest yards per game (244.0) since 2005 (223.5) when he was with the Los Angeles Chargers and his average depth of target (5.9 yards) is lowest in the league this year among any quarterback with at least 150 dropbacks. Winston logged an average depth of target of 6.0 yards in relief on Sunday. Hill hasn't taken very many dropbacks this season but he has logged 12 carries inside the red zone, including two attempts inside the five-yard line. The Falcons enter Week 11 with the worst-ranked pass defense in numberFire's advanced team rankings. They have also allowed the most FanDuel points per game to the quarterback position this season.
- Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes (concussion) still uncertain for AFC Championship against Bills January 19th, 2021
- Rapoport: Antonio Brown day-to-day for Buccaneers with minor knee injury January 19th, 2021
- Packers "hopeful" AJ Dillon (quadriceps) can play in NFC Championship Game January 18th, 2021
- Kansas City's Patrick Mahomes in concussion protocol on Monday January 18th, 2021
- Bucs' designate Vita Vea (ankle) to return from injured reserve January 18th, 2021
- Tampa Bay's Antonio Brown (knee) undergoing MRI on Monday January 18th, 2021
- Taysom Hill (knee) ruled out for Sunday's clash with Buccaneers January 17th, 2021
- Saints' Latavius Murray (quad) inactive for Divisional Round clash with Tampa Bay January 17th, 2021
- Saints' Latavius Murray (quad) not expected to play Sunday January 17th, 2021
- Saints' Taysom Hill (knee) not expected to play Sunday January 17th, 2021
- Saints activate Tre'Quan Smith (ankle) from injured reserve on Saturday January 16th, 2021
- Saints' Taysom Hill (knee) questionable for Sunday's clash with Tampa Bay January 15th, 2021