Nick Mullens 'most likely' the 49ers' Week 3 starter
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Nick Mullens will "most likely" start Week 3 against the New York Giants, head coach Kyle Shanahan said.
Jimmy Garoppolo is expected to sit out with a high-ankle sprain. Mullens completed 8-of-11 passes for 71 yards with an interception off the bench last week after Garoppolo got hurt. He made eight starts back in 2018 and averaged 284.6 yards per game with 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Mullens gets a plus matchup in Week 3 but he could be without multiple top options in the 49ers' passing game. Jordan Reed led the offense with 8 targets last Sunday.
Mullens' average depth of target (6.7 yards) was third-lowest in the league in 2018 among 41 quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts that year. That limits the upside for the likes of Brandon Aiyuk and Kendrick Bourne while Mullens is starting. The Giants are 19th in pass defense, per numberFire's advanced analytics.
- Ravens' Mark Andrews: games against Steelers are "what you live for" October 30th, 2020
- Colts' Philip Rivers ready for "challenge" of facing Lions' defense in Week 8 October 30th, 2020
- Colts' T.Y. Hilton feels like he's "close" to a breakout game heading into Week 8's clash with Detroit October 30th, 2020
- Vikings' Kirk Cousins focused on sustaining drives against Packers in Week 8 October 30th, 2020
- Ravens' Lamar Jackson excited for "lights out game" against Steelers in Week 8 October 30th, 2020
- Seahawks' Jamal Adams (groin) returns to practice on Friday October 30th, 2020
- 49ers ‘hope’ to have Tevin Coleman (knee) Sunday October 30th, 2020
- Jordan Reed (knee) designated to return for 49ers October 28th, 2020
- 49ers' Tevin Coleman (knee) designated to return October 28th, 2020
- 49ers' Tevin Coleman (knee) could return for Week 8 October 26th, 2020
- 49ers' Deebo Samuel (hamstring) to miss two weeks at least October 26th, 2020
- 49ers' Jeff Wilson (ankle) heading to injured reserve October 26th, 2020