A.J. Johnson to remain a 'mainstay' on early downs for Broncos
Denver Broncos inside linebacker A.J. Johnson expects to remain a mainstay on early downs in 2020, and to continue to develop in coverage.
Johnson was a major contributor to the Broncos' defensive turnaround partway through the 2019 season. Following his insertion to the starting lineup, the team went 7-5 for the remainder of the season. He was a major player in stopping the run, and amassed 93 tackles in 12 games, as well as 5 tackles for a loss.
As Johnson noted in the interview, he did struggle in pass coverage, allowing an 81% completion rate to opposing pass catchers and 236 yards. The Broncos finished the season just about at league average when it came to defending against the pass, and will be aiming to return their once-dominant ways on defense.
- George Kittle (knee) officially ruled out again for 49ers in Week 3 September 25th, 2020
- Julio Jones (hamstring) headed for GTD in Atlanta September 25th, 2020
- George Kittle (knee) a Week 3 GTD for 49ers September 25th, 2020
- Myles Gaskin handles 27 touches as Dolphins' workhorse September 25th, 2020
- Jaguars' James Robinson racks up 129 yards with 2 touchdowns September 25th, 2020
- Breshad Perriman (ankle) sitting out for Jets versus Colts September 25th, 2020
- Schefter: Broncos' Drew Lock (shoulder) to be re-evaluated in 2 weeks September 21st, 2020
- Broncos' Courtland Sutton has torn ACL, out for year September 21st, 2020
- Broncos' Drew Lock (shoulder) expected to miss 2-6 weeks September 20th, 2020
- Broncos' Courtland Sutton (knee, cramping) ruled out for remainder of Sunday September 20th, 2020
- Broncos' Drew Lock (right shoulder) ruled out for remainder of Sunday; Jeff Driskel playing quarterback September 20th, 2020
- Courtland Sutton (shoulder, questionable) will play Sunday for Broncos September 20th, 2020