Broncos Beat: Royce Freeman competing for spot in backfield
Denver Broncos running back Royce Freeman isn't guaranteed to be the team's third running back, writes Ryan O'Halloran of The Denver Post.
Freeman is assumed to be penciled in at third on the depth chart behind Melvin Gordon and Phillip Lindsay, but O'Halloran suggests that 2017 seventh-round pick Khalfani Muhammad and undrafted rookie LeVante Bellamy are also in the mix. Freeman's targets spiked from 20 as a rookie to 50 last year, but his rushing yards per game fell from 37.2 to 31.0, despite an equal workload. The 2018 third-rounder also hasn't logged any special teams snaps through 30 career games. If Muhammad or Bellamy turns in a strong preseason performance, Freeman could wind up on the outside looking in.
Freeman is the RB72 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our models expect him to rush 44.8 times for 184.2 yards and catch 12.0 passes on 16.1 targets for 76.8 yards while totaling 1.7 touchdowns.
- Julio Teheran now starting for Angels Saturday instead of Dylan Bundy September 26th, 2020
- Lions' Desmond Trufant (hamstring) ruled out for Week 3's game against Arizona September 26th, 2020
- Chargers' Melvin Ingram (knee) placed on injured list September 26th, 2020
- 49ers' JaMycal Hasty promoted to active roster September 26th, 2020
- Panthers' Reggie Bonnafon promoted to active roster September 26th, 2020
- Chiefs' Darrel Williams removed from injury report ahead of Week 3's game against Baltimore September 26th, 2020
- Broncos' Phillip Lindsay (toe) doubtful for Week 3's clash with Tampa Bay September 25th, 2020
- Broncos' Jerry Jeudy (ribs) a game-time decision for Week 3's matchup against Tampa Bay September 25th, 2020
- Schefter: Broncos' Drew Lock (shoulder) to be re-evaluated in 2 weeks September 21st, 2020
- Broncos' Courtland Sutton has torn ACL, out for year September 21st, 2020
- Broncos' Drew Lock (shoulder) expected to miss 2-6 weeks September 20th, 2020
- Broncos' Courtland Sutton (knee, cramping) ruled out for remainder of Sunday September 20th, 2020