Texas Southern wins SWAC title with 84-69 victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff
The Texas Southern Tigers defeated the Arkansas Pine-Bluff Golden Lions 84-69 on Saturday to win the Southwestern Athletic Conference championship.
Demontrae Jefferson scored 15 points (2-of-8 field goals, 11-of-11 free throws) with 6 rebounds and 7 assists while Trayvon Reed pitched in with a double-double off the bench to give the Tigers their fourth SWAC title in the past five seasons. According to @ESPNStatsInfo, they are the first team since 1985 to reach the NCAA tournament after starting the year 0-13 or worse.
Texas Southern is 240th in numberFire's power rankings and we expect them to be a 16-seed in the tournament.
- Virginia named 1st seed in South Region March 18th, 2019
- North Carolina claims top seed in Midwest region March 18th, 2019
- Gonzaga earns No. 1 seed in the West March 18th, 2019
- Duke earns top seed in the NCAA tournament March 18th, 2019
- Kansas punches ticket to Final Four with 85-81 victory over Duke March 25th, 2018
- Villanova advances to Final Four for second time in three seasons with victory over Texas Tech March 25th, 2018