Virginia named 1st seed in South Region
The Virginia Cavaliers earned the number-one seed in the South Region for the 2019 men's NCAA Tournament.
This is the fourth time in the past six years Virginia has earned a top bid. They are one of three ACC teams to earn a number-one seed, along with the Duke Blue Devils (East Region) and North Carolina Tar Heels (Midwest Region). Virginia became the first one seed in men's NCAA Tournament history to lose to a 16-seed last year. They will look to avenge that defeat on Friday versus the number-16 Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs.
The Cavaliers are 3rd in numberFire's NCAA Basketball Team Rankings.
- North Carolina claims top seed in Midwest region March 18th, 2019
- Gonzaga earns No. 1 seed in the West March 18th, 2019
- Duke earns top seed in the NCAA tournament March 18th, 2019
- Kansas punches ticket to Final Four with 85-81 victory over Duke March 25th, 2018
- Villanova advances to Final Four for second time in three seasons with victory over Texas Tech March 25th, 2018
- Michigan edges Florida State to earn a trip to the Final Four March 25th, 2018
- Virginia named 1st seed in South Region March 18th, 2019
- 16-seed UMBC makes history in defeat of 1-seed Virginia March 17th, 2018
- University of Virginia earns top overall seed in NCAA Tournament March 11th, 2018
- Virginia beats North Carolina to win ACC title on Saturday March 11th, 2018
- Marial Shayok will play for Iowa State after spending three years with Virginia April 20th, 2017
- Virginia's second leading scorer Marial Shayok will transfer March 23rd, 2017