Cubs place closer Craig Kimbrel (elbow) on injured list
Chicago Cubs relief pitcher Craig Kimbrel has been placed on the injured list due to right elbow inflammation.
The move is retroactive to Sept. 2, so Kimbrel doesn't necessarily need to be on the shelf for 10 days. The former All-Star closer has been struggling mightily as of late, and this news could be an explanation for his issues on the mound. Pedro Strop and/or Steve Cishek could be in line for closing duties in Kimbrel's absence.
In 19.0 innings pitched this season, Kimbrel has faced 88 batters and has a 5.68 ERA, a 1.53 WHIP, 26 strikeouts and 11 walks.
- Red Sox's Chris Sale undergoes Tommy John March 30th, 2020
- Mets' Noah Syndergaard reportedly requires Tommy John for elbow injury March 24th, 2020
- Sam Tuivailala released by Mariners March 20th, 2020
- Mets-Marlins in Puerto Rico canceled by COVID-19 March 19th, 2020
- Diamondbacks-Padres April 18-19 Mexico City series canceled March 19th, 2020
- MLB expected to advise teams to end organized group workouts March 15th, 2020
- Cubs' Tyler Chatwood the front runner for fifth spot in rotation March 8th, 2020
- Ian Happ clears fence again for Cubs March 4th, 2020
- Ross: Cubs 'committed' to Kris Bryant as leadoff hitter in 2020 February 20th, 2020
- Ben Zobrist starting for Cubs in final game of season September 29th, 2019
- Willson Contreras catching Sunday afternoon for Cubs September 29th, 2019
- David Bote starting at third base for the Cubs on Saturday September 28th, 2019