Cubs sign relief pitcher Craig Kimbrel, pending physical
The Chicago Cubs have signed free agent relief pitcher Craig Kimbrel to a contract, pending a physical, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.
The Cubs got Pedro Strop back from the injured list on Tuesday, but with Brandon Morrow suffering multiple setbacks from offseason surgeries they were in the market for an experienced closer. No word on the contract details or when Kimbrel will be ready to join the big league roster.
Kimbrel posted a 2.74 ERA and 0.99 WHIP with 96 strikeouts and 42 saves over 62 1/3 innings pitched with the Boston Red Sox in 2018.
- Philadelphia's Andrew McCutchen (knee) ready for 2020 season April 4th, 2020
- Astros' Justin Verlander (groin) on schedule, doing well March 31st, 2020
- Red Sox's Chris Sale undergoes Tommy John March 30th, 2020
- Mets' Noah Syndergaard reportedly requires Tommy John for elbow injury March 24th, 2020
- Sam Tuivailala released by Mariners March 20th, 2020
- Mets-Marlins in Puerto Rico canceled by COVID-19 March 19th, 2020
- Cubs-Cardinals London Series officially canceled April 1st, 2020
- Cubs' Tyler Chatwood the front runner for fifth spot in rotation March 8th, 2020
- Ian Happ clears fence again for Cubs March 4th, 2020
- Ross: Cubs 'committed' to Kris Bryant as leadoff hitter in 2020 February 20th, 2020
- Ben Zobrist starting for Cubs in final game of season September 29th, 2019
- Willson Contreras catching Sunday afternoon for Cubs September 29th, 2019